note: this article applies to Solar+SPAN installations without a Battery Backup system. If you will be installing Solar with a battery backup system, please refer to this article: Adding Battery Backup to your SPAN Panel
What to know before adding solar to your SPAN panel
- SPAN may be paired with any grid-tied solar inverter.
- SPAN measures solar production directly - no communication wiring is required between SPAN and the solar system.
- The circuit breaker feeding the solar inverter must be installed in your SPAN Panel to enable monitoring in the SPAN Home App.
Provide this one-page Solar Addition guide to your solar installer before installation day so they know what to expect. If they have any questions, please direct them to contact SPAN Support.
In order to enable solar monitoring in the SPAN Home App, your solar system must be fed from a breaker in one of the bottom slots in your SPAN panel. Depending on the current configuration of your panel, your solar installer may need to relocate breakers or combine multiple circuits onto tandem breakers to make space.
Your solar installer will need to be aware of three critical specifications:
- Maximum Branch Breaker Size: 90A
- Busbar Rating: 225A
- Approved Solar Breaker Spaces: All